All International students are required to carry health insurance. To comply with the University’s health insurance requirement, students must either enroll in the Florida Gulf Coast University student health insurance plan (SHIP) or waive by submitting proof of alternate health insurance each semester.
Alternate Health Insurance Requirements:
To qualify for a waiver of SHIP, your alternate health insurance must meet or exceed the requirements as set forth below and AHP must receive the waiver request by the waiver deadline, January 8, 2024.
- The policy must provide continuous coverage for the entire period the insured is enrolled as an eligible student. The student must be covered from the first day of class until the day before the next semester begins. Payment of benefits must be renewable.
- Basic Benefits: Room, board, hospital services, physician fees, surgeon fees, ambulance, outpatient services, and outpatient customary fees must be paid at 80% or more of usual, customary, reasonable charge per accident or illness, after deductible is met, for in-network, and 70% or more of usual, customary, and reasonable charge for out-of-network providers per accident or illness.
- Inpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees with a minimum 30-day cap per benefit period.
- Outpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees for a minimum of 30 (preferably 40) sessions per year.
- Maternity Benefits: Must be treated as any other temporary medical condition and paid at no less than 80% of usual and customary fees in-network or 60% out-of-network.
- Inpatient/Outpatient Prescription Medication: Must include coverage of $1,000 or more per policy year.
- Repatriation: $ 25,000 (coverage to return the student’s remains to his/her native country).
- Medical Evacuation: $50,000 (to permit the patient to be transported to his/her home country and to be accompanied by a provider or escort, if directed by the physician in charge).
- Deductible: Maximum of $50 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at the Student Health Center; maximum of $100 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at an off-campus ambulatory care or hospital emergency department facility.
- Minimum coverage: $ 200,000 for covered injuries/illnesses per policy year.
- Insurance Carrier must have an “A” rating or above per Part 62.14(c)(1) of Section 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
- Policy must not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to the student’s program of study.
- Claims must be paid in U.S. dollars payable on a U.S. financial institution.
- Policy provisions must be available from the insurer in English.
- Student must be eligible to purchase the insurance for the full year.
If your alternate health insurance meets the above minimum requirements, acquire the following scanned documents to submit a waiver request:
- The front and back of your insurance member ID card.
CLICK HERE TO WAIVE OR ENROLL IN THE STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN